Monday, March 12, 2012

My First Blood Donation

Now this is different from my usual posts. It's nothing DIY but it's a wonderful experience I'd like to share with everyone. 

Ever since I was in college, I've been trying to pass the screening to donate blood. Sadly, I've always failed for a number of reasons; I was either underweight, had low blood pressure, had colds or was under asthma medication.

I thought it was completely hopeless for me to donate blood in the future so every time I receive text messages regarding sick people in our community searching for blood donors, I just prayed for that person.  

But last Friday, things were about to change. I received three messages from different people for the same person who needs blood. It happened to be a very close friend's parent whom I love dearly. We had the same blood-type, O+. I don't really know what came over me but I decided to go. 

I wasn't sure if I was going to pass the dreaded qualifications. We were given a questionnaire, interviewed by the doctor and our blood samples were screened. I was praying so hard that I’d make it and guess what my prayers were answered. 

It was like a dream come true! I gave a bag of my blood! My mom and best friend congratulated for this feat. 

My blood-letting took about 15 minutes to finish. Every 5 seconds, if you ever try it, you will be required to close and open your hands. I really felt my blood rush out from all parts of my body. It was funny because while the bag was still attached to me, I didn't feel my energy leave me. But the moment it was removed, I felt the fatigue. I was required to rest for about 15 minutes. The phlebotomist who assisted me told me that there were proud, bulky guys who stood after the bloodletting and fell flat on the ground. So much for pride. I waited it out. I mean who needs humiliation?

I was told to take iron supplements, eat and rest so no driving or commuting alone after bloodletting.

My friend's mom received my blood after being cross-examined and after getting the doctor's approval. She's still recovering.  I hope she gets better soon.  

It was just really tough luck for me because I had my period the night after I donated blood. I do not recommend this for any woman. I was weak for days because of this. I still may be weak until now. My physical therapist friend told me to take two iron supplements, one in the morning and one at night until my period’s done. So if you are thinking of giving blood, mark in your calendars first when your last period is. It is not suggested to give before you get your period and you definitely cannot give after it. You can donate every 3-6 months. 

Donating blood is good because you not only get a free medical check-up, your blood is cleansed and renewed and it gives your bone marrow a well-deserved work-out. And another perk people probably didn't know, my friends complimented me how slim and how pretty I got. Ha! Who cares about getting weak for days when you get all these benefits? My thighs got really smaller. So that’s where I hide all my blood!

I think I was really fated to give blood last Friday. I mean I always have colds because of my allergic rhinitis but that day, not even a sneeze. Well, I did but after the bloodletting. But among these benefits, what I appreciate the most is being able to help someone. A lot of us people think that we need a lot of money to be able to help out people. Although money is important, I realized that taking care of yourself is not selfish and giving love is free. And this is enough motivation to keep myself fit and healthy. I will definitely be doing this again. I will take care of myself so that until the day I die, I can still give a part of me. How about you? What’s your motivation?


No comments:

Post a Comment