Monday, October 1, 2012

My First Try At Making Tablea Leche Flan!

My mom reminded me last night that I have to use the evaporated milk in our food cabinet because it's been there for quite some time and it might end up expired again (like the many others before it). So as a dutiful daughter, I decided to try making Tablea Leche Flan. Find the recipe below.

Get your Pure Batangas Tablea at Php40/50 g. 
Visit https://herbalandherbs.wordpress.com/ for more details.

Ingredients: 

For the Custard:
1 can evaporated milk
3/4 c. sugar
60 g. pure Tablea
3 large organic eggs at room temperature
A pinch pinch salt

For the syrup:

3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. water

Instructions: 

1. For the first part, check out the instructions HERE. It's the same thing as making chocolate ala Dulcinea! Allow the mixture to cool. I left it for 30 minutes.



2. While waiting for the mixture to cool, make the syrup. Melt sugar at low heat, keep stirring so you won't burn it. When completely melted and of golden color, add the water. Continue heating until the sugar is dissolved. Do the spoon test. (I don't know if I heard it somewhere or if I just invented a name for it.)

Spoon test: Dip the spoon in the syrup and put it at eye-level. If it forms a thread suspended in mid-air like the picture below, it means it's ready!


Transfer it to the Leche Flan molds.


3. Prepare the steamer. 

4. Mix the remaining evaporated milk into the Tablea-milk-sugar mixture. Add one egg at a time, mixing in well between. Add a pinch of salt and mix mix mix some more. Don't use a whisk. Use a spoon. I have a friend whose aunt has a leche flan business. They say the trick to the melt-in-your-mouth goodness is not creating bubbles in the mixture. When it's already well-mixed, stop yourself from mixing further. Put the mixture in the molds. Then cover it with foil. 


5. When the steamer is ready, put the molds and steam for 45 minutes. 

6. After steaming, remove the from steamer. Remove foil to cool. Cool for about 30 minutes before refrigerating. Refrigerate before tasting. 



A picture of delicious...



It's really a WOW, I tell you. Usually, I am my worst critic but at the taste of this one... I was speechless. It's exactly what I want in sweets. It's sweet enough but it doesn't have that overbearing sweet after taste. It's decadent. Not bad for a first try. I kind of hope though that I had enough coconut sugar to make this so it'd be sugar-free. There's surely a next time!

Get your Pure Batangas Tablea at Php40/50 g. 
Visit https://herbalandherbs.wordpress.com/ for more details.


2 comments:

  1. Hi pano mo po.tinunaw yung tablea? Sa water lang ba? Or sa milk na? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katkat! Sa milk. Visit this link for more details. :) http://d-i-y-love.blogspot.com/2012/10/chocolate-in-dulcineas-churros-con.html

      Delete