Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies (Sugar-free)

A friend of mine has been requesting mint chocolate chip cookies from me for the longest time and it is only now that I found the time to finally try making them. Sure there are available mint food essence available in the market but fresh is always better! And since my parents have an herb garden, I might as well take advantage!

Get your Peppermint at Php60/seedling. 
Visit https://herbalandherbs.wordpress.com/ for more details. 

I got this recipe from Une Gamine dans la Cuisine

Group A:
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of baking soda

Group B:
1/2 cup or 113 g. unsalted butter, at room temperature
165 g. coconut sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Group C:
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chopped
1/4 cup of chopped fresh mint leaves (or food processed)

1. Sift Group A together. 
2. Cream butter and sugar for 10 minutes (KitchenAid speed 4). Add egg and vanilla then mix for 30 sec. (KitchenAid speed 6). 
3. Add Group A to creamed mixture in 3 additions. Mix only until no traces of flour can be seen. Scrape sides as needed. 
4. Add Group C and fold manually until well incorporated. 
5. Refrigerate for 3 1/2 hours. But you can chill for 30 mins if you cannot wait. (I couldn't wait.)
6. Scoop dough (approx. 1 tbsp./ pc.) in greased cookie sheet. Put flour in scoop as needed so that dough doesn't stick. Place cookie dough one inch apart each other in cookie sheet.  
7. Bake at preheated oven temperature 180 degrees Celsius for 7 minutes. Leave in cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. 

Makes 20. 

Recipe Review:

I think I've mentioned in my  post for DIY ice cream that I'm not a big fan of chocolate cake or ice cream. It's the same with cookies but it's always nice to bake for your mom who worships chocolates, yes? 

What I don't like about my first attempt is the fact that I used bittersweet chocolate. It was the only thing available in the pantry. I'm weak against bitter stuff because I'm sweet. Ha ha! My mom loved it though. She's a sucker for all things bitter. Eew. 

I like how the cookie is firm on the sides and chewy and wonderfully moist on the inside. The green patches are not as visible when you see the cookies in person. I used flash for this photo. 

 

I guess the only down side to using fresh mint leaves in your cookies is that it tends to get stuck between your teeth. But if minty fresh breath after a sweet treat is what you are after, this cookie will not disappoint. Will definitely make them again but this time with semi-sweet chocolate.

Get your Peppermint at Php60/seedling. 
Visit https://herbalandherbs.wordpress.com/ for more details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment