Thursday, March 15, 2012

DIY Yakult-flavored Yogurt

I was supposed to try out making yogurt but since I forgot to buy yogurt at the grocery store for my starter set and we have Yakult, I decided to make Yakult milk instead.

I wanted a really CREAMY yogurt so I bought my favorite powdered milk, Bear Brand. But creamy Yakult milk, is another thing worth trying.

Since I baked fabulous Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip cookies and making Yakult milk needed oven assistance, I decided to make it after the baking. 

What you're going to need:

1 liter of water
1 pack of 300 g. powdered milk of your choice
1 pc. Yakult

Oven

1. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Celsius. (Better if you bake first so it's more economical.)
2. Mix the three ingredients together in oven-proof bowl. Put in oven at 250 degrees then turn off the oven. 
3. Leave mixture undisturbed for 12-14 hours. This is what it looks like after 12 hours.


And when you mix it, you will see some formed lumps.


4. Chill for 2 hours and enjoy! Add sugar if you want to taste.


Review:


The consistency reminds me of cottage cheese that's more runny.



It has the tangy taste of yogurt and the aftertaste of Yakult without the sugar. Definitely, an acquired taste. Sugar makes it easier to down just make sure you dissolve the sugar well.  But the health benefits make it totally worth it. For more information on Yakult, visit http://www.yakultusa.com/. Cheers to healthy intestines!

4 comments:

  1. Reduce it to 150 grams of milk powder and it will be a better/smoother result (no cottage cheese look). I have trouble dissolving all 150g of powder in a liter of water. I doubt 300g will ever get close to dissolving completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, RLill!

    Thanks for your suggestion. :) Our powdered full cream milk here in the Philippines dissolved in one liter pretty well. Maybe it's the difference in ingredients. But if you can make this with less, that's even better!

    Thank you for trying this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how long do we need to put it in the oven? we tried it twice but it's not working the mixture was getting spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mellen,

      Oh that's a shame. Sorry to hear that. :( After baking, my oven's temp is around 180-185 Celsius. I usually put my Yakult milk in until the temperature drops to around 30 Celsius.

      Where are you located? If you are not from the Philippines too, there might be a prob with climate?

      Delete