Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DIY Highlights

I have a confession to make. I'm terrified of going to hair salons and this is probably why I am doing all the DIY stuff (except for the haircut) so that I wouldn't have to go. When you go to the salon, it's usually to feel good about yourself. I don't know if it ever appeared to you in this way but notice when you go to salons you feel picked on (at least at the salons I've been to). 

I have naturally curly hair and there was a time when rebond was all the craze. Oh my formative years. When I go for a haircut, the person doing my hair does nothing but rip my self-esteem by telling me to have my hair done straight. For awhile I followed their advice until I realized that they were not after my welfare when they suggested this to me. My hair got damaged and I had to grow it out to its former glory. 

Until now, when I go to salons I am still being told to do the same. But after that really bad experience, I know better. And if you want something done right, you gotta DIY, love!

Summer's around the corner and what better way to start feeling it than to have HIGHLIGHTS on your locks. I have black hair - not really the jet black type because when I'm under the sun it reveals a light brown color. Since I'm all for the natural stuff, I did my research on highlighting hair naturally. And all of them say the same thing, use LEMONS!

Photo from: http://kas2ri-kas2ri.blogspot.com/2009/06/limau-kasturikalamansi.html

We have American lemons here but I think our native Calamansi will do just fine. 

I've experimented on this just this morning. Below is the list of what you will be needing:

1 cup water
4 tbsp. Kalamansi (approx. 16 pcs.)
Sunblock
Sun

Photo from: http://rainbowsunshinekittens.tumblr.com/


You simply mix them together, go for a bath and use this as a last rinse over your head. Then put sunblock and bask under the sun for thirty minutes. After that rinse with water and dry! 

What I like to do is go out to bike around the village at 8:30 AM. The sun will be up and about by then and it's exactly 30 minutes away from the sun being harmful. I not only burn 109 calories according to this calorie calculator, I also get my much needed Vitamin D, a tan, thigh muscles and my highlights on! Definitely better than sitting for an hour to two hours in the salon while reading magazines or watching TV! And mind you lemon is also skin lightening and a wonderful astringent for your face so that's like doing three treatments in one! Just don't let it get to your eyes!

Of course, the effects are not as immediate as with the salon. So I might be hallucinating a bit when I find my hair a little lighter when I saw it a minute ago against the light. The best way is to do this once a week for four weeks. Lemon is very acidic and may dry hair (and your skin!) if you do this everyday. Patience is a virtue. 

Some websites say that you will have blisters on your head if you do the last rinse method for this but I've just tried it this morning and no, none of the pain they were saying. But if you are still not sure about this, you can put the concoction in a spray bottle and spray away so lemon juice won't hit your scalp. 

If you have time to spare, you may also want to try honey and olive oil. You can check how it's done here. I've tried them both. I didn't enjoy it though because olive oil is again too greasy and honey makes the ants go crazy in my bathroom. But honey does make your hair feel softer. I can't wait to try the beer treatment but I think this would be best with a girl friend so you can drink and bash old boyfriends so early in the morning together. 

I'm continuing this treatment until the four weeks are up. Just in time for April! Can't wait how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment