Thursday, May 10, 2012

Comfort Food: Fried Cauliflower to the rescue!

I've been kind of down lately. And usually when people are down, we don't have the appetite BUT we find comfort in stuffing ourselves in the hopes of filling the gap - whatever that is. I've read somewhere that the best solution to a food craving is to actually give in because if you don't, you'll stuff yourself with things that are somewhat like it (but not it) and end up eating more because you look for the satisfaction that is just not there! And once you're satisfied, you can stop obsessing over it. Done deal. But what if you are craving for a BINGE? Well here's a recipe for you! Fried Cauliflower to the rescue!

What you will need:

Cauliflower
Breading Mix (Enough to coat florets)
1 Egg

What to do:

1. Remove the patch surrounding the cauliflower. 


2. Cut into florets.


3. Beat egg and coat florets.


4. Coat with any store-bought breading mix for chicken.


5. Fry until the stems are soft enough to pick-up using a fork and serve. 


My verdict:


A friend told me about this when she was reminiscing about the college days in her dorm. Her friends used to do this. And what can I say? It's really goooooooooooood!!! A bit salty though because I didn't use a really good breading mix so choose what you will use.

A cup of fried cauliflower is said to have 172 calories and 4 grams of protein according to Spark People. I don't eat a lot of junk food but I know that they probably amount to the same calories as a cup of fried cauliflower. The defining difference is actually in the protein content. When I eat junk food, I end up still hungry after devouring the entire pack. This cauliflower snack is very filling. No empty calories for me! I even ate it with organic red rice. It makes a wonderful viand too.

So the next time, you are craving for comfort in the form of a binge, you might want to think of your health and a beautiful vegetable flower called Cauliflower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment